Last Updated on August 30, 2021 by Lily Aldrin
If you are an owner of a parakeet or you want to own a new parakeet or budgie, you might not be aware of their size and their growth. Parakeets are small pet birds that don’t grow to become big birds; in fact, these birds turn into cute little birds even at their full growth.
People often start to wonder how do these parakeets grow and on what diet. There are also thoughts that what might be the best growth nutrition for these parakeets. It is important to know that what size your pet will grow into someday, and you have to make suitable arrangements for that too. In this discussion, we are covering everything related to parakeet’s growth and their size.
Table of Contents
How Big Do Parakeets Grow?
The parakeets can grow to a size of 18cm. Parakeets are small birds that only weigh around 30 to 40 grams. If you consider their width, their growth is about 30cm, along with their wingspan. A lot of contributing things are included in the growth of a parakeet, and it also affects their actual body size too.
The difference in the growth of a young parakeet and an adult parakeet can be judged easily from their face. The parakeets get mature at a very rapid pace in around six weeks, and they gain all the feathers around them. They also become eligible to eat by themselves without any help.
When a parakeet is young, the face does have black stripes around its nostrils. Usually, such a face can last around 3 months of its age. They also tend to develop blue shades near their beaks. If you look at their tail, you would be able to see dark blue shades and yellow splashes around them.
Parakeets Size and Growth
Parakeets that are living out in the wild are basically smaller. Their growth mainly depends on the food and their hard-working capabilities for survival. A parakeet grows good in size when it has a proper diet and healthy food.
If a parakeet is struggling to get proper food out in the wild and is also thriving for survival, such a parakeet maybe even smaller in size. It’s really important for the bird owners to know everything about the growth of these parakeets at their age of life.
The average length of a parakeet can grow is between 18cm to 22cm. This size does include its tail and whole body length from head to toe. Due to this size, they weigh around 1 ounce (28 g) on average. To understand the age better, we see these facts in a quicker view.
- Parakeets tend to grow quickly, and they get mature within 6 weeks.
- When a parakeet is born, the only they feed on is the “crop milk”. Such a small budgie can’t see anything and only has few feathers on the body.
- At the age of 3-5 days, a parakeet is blind and is also unable to move.
- When the parakeet gets to 6 to 9 days of age, it starts to grow feathers and is also able to see the world.
- When they reach 10 or 12 days of age, they are filled with feathers and get great fancy color shading on their body.
- At 13 or 15 days of its life, a parakeet becomes a fluffy little fellow with all of its body covered with feathers and long wings.
- After 19 days, a parakeet is all set to gain its full form and colors, and they tend to stay active during the whole day.
- With 20 days of life, the parakeet gains good vocal abilities and stronger body movement. They also develop some color shading on their face with stripes.
- After a month, a parakeet is covered with feathers, and it becomes active to eat more and stay energetic and chirping all day with the owner. Their feathers start to grow to the full size, and they are also able to fly.
- After 40 days of their life, you can expect them to be fully grown and all set to be living a healthy mature birdlife that they were born for.
What Helps in Parakeets Growth?
Nutritional values play a very important role in the healthy development of a parakeet. They can greatly affect a parakeet’s size and its growth. If you have a pet parakeet, you must make sure that it’s getting proper food and treats for nourishment and body development.
Usually, parakeets love fresh fruits like apples, guava, melon, berries, etc., to eat. Owners can also feed them with fresh veggies. You must be sure that the food you are giving to the parakeet must not contain too much sugar quantity like high fructose. Otherwise, your parakeet may feel ill or sick from the diet.
It’s always easy to spoil a pet by taking extra care of it and feeding some extra food all the time, but that can turn bad sometimes. You don’t want to lose your pet bird, so you ought to be careful with the diet.
You must know what you are feeding to your bird, and it’s recommended that you keep your bird on a seed-based diet that is not harmful in any way for these birds. You should know what your pet likes and what it doesn’t. Take proper care of it.
In this discussion, we discussed the growth and size of a parakeet based upon its environment and its diet. All details have been shared, and for more info, you can leave a comment in the box given below.
How long is for a parakeet to grow up?
Parakeets tend to grow with their age, and usually, for a budgie to reach its maturity may take 6 weeks at most. Below that age is basically an immature parakeet.
How big will my parakeet get?
Parakeet is expected to grow between 18cm to 30cm on average. This is based on their diet, and they usually weigh between 35 to 40g.